Sunday, March 13, 2011

New lens!

On Friday, I purchased a new Nikkor lens . . . a 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 super telephoto lens.  I took it out to the Saylorville spillway with Katie, Nicole, and Sam to get some pictures yesterday and wasn't disappointed.  My only complaint is that it is a little slow to focus but I think that's more my camera than the lens itself.  The only other complaint I have is that the max aperture is only f/4.5.  I'm so used to shooting with my 35mm that can go up to f/1.8 that it may take a little while to get used to.  This lens also has the Vibration Reduction feature that I like so much on Nikkor lenses. 

I need to purchase a new tripod as mine was accidentally broken.  :)  I think that will help make the pictures more sharp.  Even with VR on, some of the ones I took were still too blurry as most of the shots were showing a correct exposure at 1/125, ISO at 800, and f/20.

We did see a couple bald eagles while we were there and some really pretty hawks.  Not sure what type they were but they were huge.